Waterman ink, Is It Waterproof?
Waterman ink is a brand of fountain pen ink manufactured by the Waterman company. It’s been around since 1883, making it one of the oldest and most trusted brands. Waterman inks come in a wide range of colors with different properties that make them suitable for different uses. They’re made from high-quality ingredients and are known for being waterproof and long-lasting.
There are three different types of waterproof ink.
- Waterproof Gel Ink. This is the most common and versatile type of waterman ink. It can be used for drawing and calligraphy, though it doesn’t have a flex nib like many calligraphy pens. It’s also the most popular type of ink used in fountain pens. It’s not as thick as other types of waterproof ink but is still very thin and smooth. It’s easy to use and has excellent flow, which makes it an ideal choice for beginners.
- Waterproof Pigment Ink (AKA India Ink). This is designed specifically for drawing and has the same properties as traditional Indian ink: it dries quickly, so you can’t smudge your work after you’re done with it. It also needs more time to dry than other types of waterman ink. It’s a good choice for artists, calligraphers, and anyone who likes to use pens for drawing or sketching. Pigment inks can also be used with fountain pens but don’t have the same flow as dye-based ink.
- Waterproof Fountain Pen Ink (AKA Liquid Pencil). This isn’t an “ink” at all—it’s a liquid that comes in cartridges or bottled from individual brush pens and fountain pens! While this type of waterman ink is great for shading purposes because you don’t have to worry about smudging your lines while they’re drying as you would with regular pencil lead or charcoal, if you plan on writing letters out manually, then I’d recommend sticking with one of those options instead because they tend not to flow well into each other when used together side by side.”
the best waterman ink for drawing
Waterman ink is one of the best brands for drawing. It is not waterproof and comes in various colors, including white and red. However, there are better choices for calligraphy artists because it tends to bleed on glossy surfaces such as glass or plastic.
the best waterman ink for calligraphy
Calligraphy inks are a different type of ink from what you use for drawing and writing. They’re made specifically for calligraphy and are more expensive than regular ink pens.
Calligraphy inks aren’t waterproof or washable, so don’t expect to be able to use them in your art projects. If you want to do some lettering with watercolor paints, then it’s better to stick with traditional calligraphic fountain pen ink like [Waterman].
How to Make Waterman Ink Waterproof
- Use waterproof ink. Waterman’s special waterproof ink is not easy to find, but it can be done if you’re determined.
- Use a fountain pen. A fountain pen with a steel nib not made of plastic will give the best results for writing on the water and taking notes on boats or in the rainforest.
- Don’t dip the pen in your inkwell! That’s just asking for trouble—you’ll end up with an unsightly stain on your clothing and possibly even more embarrassing stains elsewhere (we’re looking at you). Instead, use an eyedropper to transfer some of your favorite writing implement into their new home inside this lovely little container designed specifically for that purpose by Waterman himself (or herself: we don’t know who invented this particular device).
- Don’t use a brush! This may seem counterintuitive at first glance because brushes are often used when applying paint or other liquids onto surfaces such as paper or canvas—but they are too thick-tipped and liable to clog up over time due to impurities found within their bristles which might cause them to break under pressure while being dipped into something like India ink which could potentially lead someone trying these techniques out there reading this article right now asking themselves “Why isn’t anyone else talking about how much fun it would be?!”
Other Waterproof Fountain Pen Inks
There are several good alternatives if you’re looking for waterproof ink that isn’t Waterman.
- Montblanc’s inks are available in various colors and come in cartridge and bottle form. These inks are permanent, waterproof, and behave well on paper and glossy surfaces. They also dry quickly when on the page, so you can write more quickly if you want to get down your thoughts before they fade!
- Diamine has many different colors available online or at Daiso stores across Japan; their all-purpose black ink is especially popular among those who want something simple but effective to write with. While these may not be as well known as other brands like Montblanc, their price point makes them an affordable alternative (around Y500 per bottle).
- J Herbin is another French brand offering a variety of colors ranging from pale pastels to deep blues – making it easy for anyone who wants something stylish without having to spend too much money! If this sounds interesting, check out some reviews online before deciding whether it’s worth trying.
If you’re looking for a fountain pen ink that will hold up to the elements, Waterman is probably not the brand for you. However, if calligraphy and drawing are your priorities and you’d prefer to avoid applying waterproofing solutions to your work, it might be worth considering
If you’re looking for something with more water resistance and perhaps less color variation, look at other brands’ products instead.
Waterman ink is a great choice for any fountain pen user. It’s available in many different colors and has some excellent properties that make it a reliable option for your writing needs. If you want to get more out of your Waterman ink, try using it with a waterproof pen like the Pilot Vanishing Point or Lamy 2000 to keep your work safe from water damage.